photography competition 2020
Well Done to all our entrants !!! You have done a great job !
Thanks you for these great moments.
Thanks you for these great moments.
Our Winner Siobhan Cahill
Judge View : superb study of an older man's face. The image displays excellent technical skills, evokes the nature of Identity, and makes a human connection to the subject. Indeed, as the photographer says in their attachment, we should not forget the faces and identity of the elderly in this current crisis.
Highly Commended : Denise Sheridan, Joan Solon, Robert Fairfield
Judge view: Great photo. Captures the fun, celebration and sense of identity of St Patrick's Day, even in lockdown mode
Judge View : Excellent composition, lighting and exposure. Again we can speculate as to the identity and sense of belonging to nature of the fisherman.
Judge View : Very good black and white image which explores the idea of a hidden identity, particularly in this era of social media.
Great pictures and great thinking from all our entrants
integrity--in the sense of completeness, in toto, down to the ground .
My grandmother Nan Kelly gave me this house plant one Christmas. She loved flowers and gardening. Her house was always a warm and welcoming haven. She passed away nearly four years ago just short of her 95th birthday. I love that the plant she gave me has survived and thrived in the house in Mountshannon I now call my home.
Identity is a perception held in any given moment.
Identity: The fact of being who or what a person or thing is.
Our winner Sarah Treacy
Photo taken at Meelick,Whitegate Sunday 17th April.
Judge View : Lovely composition and exposure contribute to a great image of a lakeside walk. The photographer feels a sense of belonging to the land and its people.
I think this is a good way to describe my identity because every time I look at it, it reminds me of the crisp red leaves of autumn, my favorite season, and ruby my favourite colour. The calalilly flower represents me because I am bright and I learn to grow quickly. The raindrops represent my imperfections. I found it right outside my house beside our front door.
Amateur Photo Competition: rules, terms and conditions
How to enter
- You must be over 18 years of age before you apply to enter or else have written parental or guardian consent.
- You may apply by entering only one photo to the committee by sending your image to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All photographs must be submitted electronically in .jpeg or .jpg format and must be 1MB minimum in size.
- Winning entries will be printed and displayed as 8” x 10” images.
- Each entry must include the location of the photograph, full name and address of the photographer.
- In entering the competition you hereby warrant that the photograph does not contravene any act, statutory instrument nor is it in any other way illegal, defamatory, seditious or blasphemous or an infringement of any copyright, trademark or industrial design and is an original photograph of the entrant.
- The competition is open to amateur photographers only and entrants must not be professional photographers. For the purposes of this competition, a professional photographer is considered to earn more than half their annual income from the sale or submissions of their photography work.
- Entry into the competition implies acceptance of these rules. On selection of winners the committee may require proof of identity which may be either a valid current passport or driving license or such other proof of identity as the committee may in its absolute discretion accept.
- Photographs previously used to enter the competition will not be accepted as a valid entry into the Mountshannon Festival of Arts Amateur Photo competition.
- You must be a resident of Ireland. Photographs entered must be taken within or around the island of Ireland.
- To enter the competition you must submit your entry on or before the close of business on May 1st. Under no circumstances will photographs entered after this period be considered valid entries into the competition.
- Winners will be selected based on the quality of the image, that the image reflects theme of Identity and also the uniqueness of the photograph. Please include some background. Winners will be notified either by email or phone call.
- The judge’s decision in choosing winners is final and shall not be subject to review or protracted correspondence on the matter.
- The judge(s) of the competition will be chosen by the committee.
- The committee may disqualify you at any time if the committee is of the view that you have not complied fully with the terms and conditions contained herein or if the committee is of the view that you are not physically or mentally suitable to take part or to continue to take part in the competition.
- Neither the committee nor any of its servants or agents shall have any liability whatsoever or howsoever arising directly or indirectly from your participation in the competition or the termination thereof whether by disqualification or otherwise and whether such termination or disqualification was lawful or not.
- The committee makes no representation, assurance or warranty (and as such is expressly denied and may not be implied) as to the condition or fitness for purpose of the prize.
- The committee accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions for any printed documentation relating to the competition in connection with advertising or promoting the competition or the business of the committee.
- You hereby expressly warrant without any qualification whatsoever that you are physically and mentally capable of partaking in the competition and you hereby covenant and agree that you shall not endanger yourself or others by your participation in the competition and shall in any event fully indemnify hold harms make good any and all losses, damages, claims and expenses (including legal expenses) incurred suffered and sustained by the committee or any third party resulting directly or indirectly from your participation in the competition.
- Give interviews to the committee, its servants or agents.
- Take part in publicity events and broadcasts relating to the committee and the competition including any recorded sound or televised recording as the committee shall request.
- Ownership in such interviews, events and recordings and the copyright and all moral and intellectual property rights in them shall vest absolutely in the committee who may exploit them entirely as the committee sees fit.
- It is the responsibility of the entrants and winners to ensure that any necessary permission required to enter a photograph into the competition is obtained.
- Entrants must ensure that any photographs containing people faces, have been taken with the permission of the person(s) in the photograph.
- It is the responsibility of the entrants and winners to ensure that the photography supplied is original and their own work.
- The committee reserves the right to publish any photos entered into the competition and the names of any entrants/winners in connection with advertising or promoting the competition or the business of the committee without prior permission from the entrants.
- By entering into the competition you accept absolutely irrevocably and without qualification that the decision of the committee and all things relating to this competition and file and as participants shall be final, binding and conclusive. There shall be no appeal.
- The committee may, if it chooses, execute its discretion or make any decision in response to an invitation to broadcast to any party any particular matter, including the disqualification of any entrant.
- This document contains the entire of the terms, conditions and rules of the competition, save where otherwise expressly stated herein, and you agree to be bound by them and them alone. You acknowledge, confirm and agree that the terms conditions and rules shall prevail over any terms, conditions, representations or statements inconsistent herewith and appearing in any advertisement, sticker, letter, flyer or any other document. Any terms, conditions, representations, statements, warranties or advertisements inconsistent with the terms, conditions and rules set out in this document are expressly excluded and the committee is not bound by them.
- No waiver by the committee of any breach of the terms, conditions and rules shall be considered a waiver of any other breach of such or another term, condition or rule.
- If any provision of the rules is held by a competent authority, court or tribunal to be invalid or unenforceable in whole or in part, then the validity of the other provisions of the terms, conditions and rules and the remainder of that provision shall not be affected thereby.
- The committee hereby reserves the right to amend any of the terms, conditions or rules contained herein at any time without advance or another form of communication to the entrant.